Network & Firewall
In this section you will find a summary about the recommended network and firewall settings for Kong.
These are the port settings in order for Kong to work:
- Allow HTTP traffic to proxy_listen. By default
- Allow HTTPs traffic to proxy_listen_ssl. By default
- Allow HTTP traffic to admin_api_listen. By default
- Allow both TCP and UDP traffic to cluster_listen. By default
Below are the recommended firewall settings:
- The upstream APIs behind Kong will be available on proxy_listen and proxy_listen_ssl. Configure these ports accordingly to the access level you wish to grant to the upstream APIs.
- Protect admin_api_listen, and only allow trusted sources that can access the Admin API.
- Allow traffic on cluster_listen port only between other Kong nodes. This port is used for infra-cluster communications.
Kong assumes a flat network topology in multi-datacenter setups. If you have a multi-datacenter setup, Kong nodes between the datacentes should communicate over a VPN connection.
Kong will try to auto-detect the node's first, non-loopback, IPv4 address and advertise this address to other Kong nodes. Sometimes this is not enough and the IP address needs to be manually set, you can do that by changing the
advertise property in the cluster configuration.